Pros and Cons of CBD Oil
Are you using CBD oil already or you’re just planning to start?
Do you know the pros and cons of CBD oil?
A survey by the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis says in the UK alone over 1.3 million people use CBD regularly. And about 6 million people have reportedly used CBD related products in the past years. That number is rising daily.
CBD has been the rage of the health and wellness world in recent years. because of the growing belief, it may have the potential to relieve chronic pain, inflammation, seizures and other health conditions.
Some studies support these claims too but before you rush to start using this miracle herb as well, you need to know the pros and cons of CBD oil.
Marijuana and hemp are the two strains of the cannabis plant. Marijuana has small amounts of CBD and high amounts of THC-tetrahydrocannabinol, the active substance that causes a mind-altering experience. Conversely, hemp has less THC and more CBD-cannabidiol, the active compound that is beneficial for health and wellness purposes.
Pros of CBD Oil
CBD carries many health benefits and if you opt for CBD oil, you’ll gain a lot.
CBD’s use has been legalised as long as it’s from the “industrial hemp strain”. Its therapeutic function is a good reason to join the many people turning to it to manage a wide range of ailments.
CBD oil may be able to effectively offer relief for conditions like:
- Epilepsy and seizure attacks
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety and Depression and
- Epilepsy and Seizure attacks. Research backs this claim and a medical cannabidiol prescription Epidiolex was approved for the treatment of Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndromes- two rare epilepsy conditions. Initial clinical studies report that using CBD oil for these seizure disorders, reduced the number of attacks that the patients experienced.
The reduction is because of the endocannabinoid receptor 1 present in our central nervous system. When CBD is used, it interacts with this ECS.
More studies suggest CBD has anticonvulsant properties. which targets your endocannabinoid system (ECS) relieving seizure problems in the process.
- Chronic pain. Experiencing pain can be annoying as it can reduce the quality of life. leading many to look for lasting relief. CBD oil is now well known as an alternative for easing chronic pains. It has shown promise in managing severe pain and reducing inflammation.
Studies suggest that CBD has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. Because the endocannabinoid system in your body can regulate feelings of pain, CBD interacts with this receptor by reducing inflammation.
Though more research is ongoing, by simply applying it topically, you may be able to get relief from conditions of chronic pains like back pain, fibromyalgia, cancer pain, arthritis and more.
CBD oil can also reduce pain linked to multiple spasms. In 2019, Sativex, a spray containing a 50/50 amount of THC and CBD is approved for use in Canada for the treatment of cancer pain and multiple sclerosis pain.
- Insomnia. Insomnia is a disorder that makes it difficult for a person to fall asleep. If you have insomnia it’s much harder for you to fall asleep at night or you may be constantly waking up at night. which could lead to poor quality of life.
Clinical studies prove CBD is effective in relieving insomnia in people with Parkinson’s disease when given a 75mg dose daily. CBD oil works to improve sleep patterns when you take a higher dose.
Due to stress and other abnormalities, your cortisol level could be up at night time making sleep difficult. using CBD oil may lower this cortisol level at night thereby inducing sleep.
The natural endocannabinoid receptor 2 is actively present in our immune system and has an impact on regulating our mood patterns. Because CBD is known to cause drowsiness, using it interacts with your body’s natural cannabinoid and regulates the level of stress hormones released in your body, helping you to get sleep.
- Anxiety and Depression. Anxiety and depression are mental health disorders that can wreck peoples health and productivity. Many people who use pharmacy-kind antidepressants report high levels of side effects.
While anxiety may be caused by stress, people get depression when their serotonin level is low. This serotonin is produced in the brain. it carries signals between the brain nerves like a neurotransmitter.
Scientific data shows CBD is effective in treating anxiety but it also alters serotonin levels in the brain. Its antidepressant properties impact your brain’s serotonin receptors and regulate your mood.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). CBD is being praised for reducing symptoms of PTSD because it has antipsychotic and anxiolytic properties.
PTSD is a severe mental condition that results from past traumatic events, with symptoms such as heightened anxiety levels, nightmares, panic attacks and other recurring episodes. Although more studies are still being done, few clinical studies and reports from people with PTSD say CBD oil has been able to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and other types of anxiety disorders.
If patients with PTSD use CBD oil, serotonin receptors can be activated inducing a calmer mood, good sleep and bringing down anxiety. One 2015 case study reports that using CBD oil was effective in treating PTSD related insomnia and anxiety in a ten-year-old girl.
Cons of CBD Oil
Despite its many positive effects, CBD has some downsides too. but the negative sides are minimal. Every user reacts differently to CBD oil. A few side effects have been reported. But until now, no evidence has been reported on public health problems due to CBD use.
A few cons of CBD oil are
- CBD oil not properly tested may have more THC concentration than what’s written on the label. Because CBD oil is regarded as a supplement and not a medicine, they are not well regulated yet. Some brands may try to cut corners and produce low-quality oils not matching the legal threshold
Some may also contain contaminants like heavy metals, insecticides and some solvents. It is best to request a third-party lab test before choosing to stick with a brand
- CBD may interact negatively with other medications and supplements you take. like grapefruit juice. It’s best to speak with your doctor before taking CBD oil if you’re on any medication
- Natural CBD oil pure extracts have more of a grass-like taste. A bitter taste that may turn you off. You might want to decide whether to choose CBD isolate which is much plain or the broad-spectrum that has been mixed in nice flavours
- CBD may cause an increase in liver enzymes when taken in excess dose thereby putting you at risk of liver disease
- The use of CBD oil is not yet considered safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. More research is needed to validate this therefore, it’s safe to avoid using CBD oil during these times
Other side effects are:
- Feeling drowsy. which can be resolved by reducing your daily dose
- Dry mouth
There’s no generally prescribed dose for CBD oil use. nevertheless, it’s best to err on the side of caution and start with smaller doses then gradually increase it after observing your body’s reaction to it.
CBD oil is the current rage of the wellness world. It’s now well accepted for its ability to provide relief for a vast array of ailments.
Knowing the pros and cons of CBD oil will help you decide what therapeutic method to choose. especially if you suffer from conditions such as chronic pain, insomnia, depression and anxiety, inflammation, PTSD and many more.
CBD oil is safe when taken in the right dose. Some clinical studies show certain ideal doses are used effectively without adverse reactions on patients.
Q and A of pros and cons of CBD oil
Q. What makes CBD oils so effective?
A. CBD contains similar properties that some pharmaceutical medicines contain. Research on CBD shows it has analgesic, antiinflammatory, antianxiety, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, antipsychotic properties. This is the main reason CBD oils are so effective on many ailments.
Q. Does CBD oil have nutritional value?
A. The main ingredient in CBD oil is cannabidiol which on its own has benefits, especially in its full-spectrum form.
Terpenes are also present in CBD oil and may affect how your body uses CBD.
The carrier oil mixed with the CBD extract could be hemp seed oil which has lots of nutritional value. Coconut oil or olive oil can also be used to dilute your CBD oil.
Flavours added to enhance the taste of CBD oils have their nutrients and contribute to the overall benefit you gain.
Q. Does hemp oil and CBD oil have the same side effect?
A. No. Hemp oil is different from CBD oil so they can’t have the same effect. Hemp oil is made from the seed of the hemp plant and is always used as a carrier oil for diluting freshly extracted CBD oil.
- CBD and treatment of epilepsy
- CBD for treating arthritis pain
- CBD for treating PTSD